Monday 2 February 2015

celebrate progress // try something new



One of the things I've wanted to do for a long time is try my hand at stamp making.
While I have been pretty busy with some new initiatives around art
{which I'll certainly share when I am able to!}
I decided to give it a try.

In a world of Pinterest and perfection
trying something new can be intimidating
to say the least, 
but forcing yourself to step out
bit by bit
will open new doors, 
and illuminate parts of yourself
that you may have never seen.

Here is a truth 
that God whispered to me one day
when I was fretting about areas of personal struggle:

"Look for progress, 
not perfection. 
That way you can celebrate 
any small advance."

So, with that I mind,
I tackle new things,
and I celebrate small advances in my life.

I have had a high density rubber block for quite some time.
It sat in a drawer, 
patiently waiting to be used for just over a year.
Today I pulled it out and carved my first rubber stamp.

I did not remember to take a picture of what it looked like before I unpackaged it,
but here is the chunk that remained after I carved into part of it.
{my carving tool, self-healing cutting mat and the product label are included 
in case you want to try it yourself.}



I made a simple leaf pattern and drew it directly on the block. 

For more complicated patterns,
I think I would draw the image on a separate paper 
and then use transfer paper to get the image to the block.

Here are a few pictures of my process and the result:



It is very simple and flawed, but I don't care.
It was totally fun!!
I'll add this to my stamp collection 
and use it in other art initiatives.

I'll leave you with this quote I saw today
{author unknown to me}

"Embrace imperfection, 
its a sign that you are not afraid 
to try NEW things."

Silvia






1 comment:

  1. That great Silvia! I also tried something NEW today...
    I attended a "Praying in Color" workshop; very 'out of the box' for me too. It was a start! I think I would like to learn more and take it to another level. It fits with 'Prophetic Painting' so who knows where it could lead.
    Glad you found the time to post this today...

    ReplyDelete